Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Sweet Soul Review: 40 Years Of Queen

And as a continuation of my random musings today, here's my review of that splendid-looking book titled "40 Years of Queen"

I was inspired by this post due to the nice review so it kinda got me thinking: this book is worth a read. So I reserved a copy of the book (this link is where I placed my order), did my stuff while waiting... and then I got an SMS notification saying that the order's waiting for me.



And well, dahlings, I got it! Here it is in it's royal glory:






So here's what the book has:


  • Pics of the band from their photo-vaults
  • Replicas of tour tickets, concert program cards, handwritten letters and song lyrics
  • Promo posters
  • and a CD containing a 1977 interview from BBC Radio One

Most of the written stuff in this book was written by a music journalist who's a Queen fan himself, but the book is published in the name of Queen. Nothing new to know about the guys, but what's really great is this 1976 fan club poster:






And my younger sister's only description of the book is that "it's the best fan book I've seen".

It's about Queen's history and continuing legacy (thanks to us, fellow Queenies) and of course, their epic music. I know how bad it turned out for them in 1991, but what mattered was that they lasted.

The book is very pro-Queen, with one pic of Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson and a section on Bohemian Rhapsody and their Live Aid 1985 performance. So now you see why Queen is a band not easy to get bored to or forget, especially that they have *that lead singer*. And *that bassist*. And *that lead guitarist*. And *that drummer*.

It would be much better if Dr Brian May and Roger Taylor had written in some stuff aside from the foreword, so I'm just gonna give this book a 4.5 stars rating.

Well anyways, it's a great thing to have it aside from the fact I bought from my first payslip in a year, and this book is guaranteed to increase the Queen appreciation more.

I'll be doing another review, and it's gonna be for The Beatles Anthology. Will be done most likely a few months from now, so lemme finish it first ok? 

Patty



No comments:

Post a Comment